12/25/2010

Happy Christmas!

Usually, always, when I sit and start to write, I have a plan. I have a list of things I want to write (rant) about, or a rudimentary essay smoldering in the recesses of my mind, which I fan and spritz to a roaring flame of absurdity.

But today is Christmas.  I hadn't planned on writing anything.  But I'm reading you guys and drinking a bottle of wine and feeling Christmas cheer and nostalgia like gangbusters.  I've got Christmas music blaring from my computer speakers.  The guys singing are a fake Beatles group from Norway or Sweden or Denmark or someplace in Europe.  And while affecting their best Beatles personae, they're covering traditional Christmas songs.  I love it.  The winter sun is streaming through my office window.  The sun will be setting in an hour, leaving in its path a soft, purple winter sunset, and I'll drink it in with equal portions of white zinfidel and get to reminiscing about Christmases past.  That's what I love most about Christmas.  I lack the religious convictions that make Christmas a spiritually significant event.  For me, it's all about tradition, nostalgia: toys and food and snow and Christmas breaks and, once I reached the teenage years, girlfriends.

I'm going to let iTunes run through the playlist of Christmas songs and keep drinking this wine.  That's how I'm going to spend this Christmas.  The wife and kids left to celebrate with her side of the family, so I'm alone.  Back in the days before the RIAA insinuated itself into the Internet, I downloaded many 1000s of songs, including 100s of Christmas songs.  So I can let it rip all night long and never hear a repeat.  You younger readers may not remember the golden age of downloading. Napster and a few me-too's ran all day and night with impunity.  It was so fun.  I left my computer wide open to the Internet, 24/7.  Broadband, baby.  Digital legs akimbo!  Disclaimer:  I wouldn't DARE share copy-written music files.  Why, that would be unlawful.  But it was a great way to discover the all the wonderful and obscure music available, including Christmas music.  So my collection is spectacular.  Every pop artist who recorded a song is in my playlist.  Have you ever heard Billy Squire's Christmas Is The Time to Say, I Love You?  Sublime.


Wow, I'm buzzed.  Pointer Sisters are playing just now.  I took a break from blogging.  I didn't write a thing for a year and a half.  What happened was, I got hooked on first-person shooter gaming, specifically, Call of Duty.  When I found some free time it became a choice between writing and playing video games.  Blogging went extinct.  But a couple years later I asked myself, Is this the best way to spend your time?  Getting fired up and angry at a video game?  And I thought, yeah, I could blog once in a while, if anybody's still doing that.  It turns out, all the cool kids are doing it!  I've quit playing COD because I don't like the guy I become when I play it.

I'm rambling.  I shutter to think how this will read once I sober up.  I should tell you how excited I am to be blogging again.  I have all these new bloggers to get to know.  I love reading you guys.  It's so much more fun than the news.  Isn't it peculiar how a bunch of amateur bloggers writing as a hobby are more captivating than professional blow-hards who think they have something important to publish?  Screw them.  If I read one more AP wire story, I'm going to puke.  Yet I hang on every word of a recipe or some girl ranting about her thoughtless boyfriend, or a dude ranting about the vicissitudes of modern life, or a mom talking about her daily life raising kids.  Weird.  All I know is, I love ripping through the Blogger reading wire.  Thanks for inventing that, Google!  It's so nice to be able to have all the recently updated blogs, front and center.  Whoever invented that deserves a medal.  For that matter, so does the guy who fermented wine.

Sweet, the Ramones singing Merry Christmas, I Don't Want to Fight Tonight.


Anyway, I hope all of you are having a Merry Christmas, eating too much and drinking too much and enjoying the company of friends and loved ones, or else basking in the peace and solitude of a Christmas evening by yourself, awash in holiday nostalgia and fine memories.  I hope all of you share some New Year's resolutions.  What better way to get to know somebody than to read their aspirations? Maybe I'll draft a few of my own.

I'm off to watch the last half of Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle.  Later, skaters.  And Merry Christmas!

13 comments:

Denise said...

Merry Christmas. I'm glad you decided to blog again because I love to read you. Drink well.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Merry Christmas! I went out yesterday and bought a box o' wine, so I'm fully stocked up for a few days. :-)

Jeannie said...

Glad you had yourself a Merry Little Christmas. It's great when you are your own best company - but then with the net, you are never alone. Awesome.
I don't know why I didn't download anything in the wonder years. But then I never download anything. I absolutely can't risk a virus - so I ask others to download for me. It works!

heartinhand said...

I read this yesterday when I snuck away to the john to check my Google Reader and steal a private moment for myself.

I got all misty!

I didn't feel right, commenting from the shitter though, so I just left it.

That being said, I'm glad you're back! Merry Christmas!

Deborah said...

I love it! Drunken-blogging.

And I agree with Denise, I'm glad you're blogging.

Merry Christmas and happy zin.

Impulsive Addict said...

Merry Christmas LB! I see you didn't get your email fixed. Ok, well, I'm sure you've been busy eating and drinking and being merry. It's all good.

I love blogging way better than listening to the news. What the bloggers say is so much more entertaining and a lot less depressing. Agreed?

Was Santa good to you?

Mrs4444 said...

You're so funny.

"a rudimentary essay smoldering in the recesses of my mind, which I fan and spritz to a roaring flame of absurdity" I love it.

And I share your sentiments about blogging.

I'm not an audiophile at all, so I've had no temptation to steal music on line. However, my son's internet at college just got suspended for a week, when his girlfriend downloaded an illegal copy of Inception. Pretty freaky--How the cable company was hot on his trail. (He'll survive, of course.)

Diane Laney Fitzpatrick said...

I, for one, am glad you stopped playing that stupid video game and started blogging. The world needs more writers and a lot fewer video-game-players.

I want to hear why you don't go to your wife's family gathering at Christmas. I think there's a great story there. And if not, you could always make something up, eh?

the eternal list said...

rambling...rambling...wait, that's what blogs are for, right?

murry kristmas

Annah said...

I've never seen that Harold and Kumar movie. But now... I have this delicious craving for white castle. Hmmmmm....

KittyCat said...

belated Merry Christmas, good friend :)

Philosophia said...

Merry belated Christmas! Everyone has their unique way of spending Christmas, and it means something different for everyone - that's the beauty of celebration, and your way sounds pretty awesome to me. All you need is some holiday iTunes going and good wine. :)

Jennifer Fabulous said...

This was a great post! I can really relate because I have discovered in the past two years that I would MUCH rather read someone's blog about their life or interesting ideas than boring people who get paid to blog. Because those people don't have passion. They just chug something out for a paycheck or because they want to hear themselves rant. Ugh.

I hope you had a great Christmas!